Friday, August 31, 2012

End o' week musings


Read this and savor it.... OK, that sounds pretentious, but I have tons o' vacation time so I'm going to celebrate my birthday big with a few days out of the office and off the grid. But first, let me share my adventures and news.


Last Friday afternoon I had the joy of going to the DMV to renew my driver's license. After years of my '80s big hair photo, they had finally decided to allow me to take a new one... yes, I still have kinda big hair, but that's what you get with all this curl and volume (don't hate me).


I made an appointment for my sortie, so I spent an entire 15 minutes in the DMV office. However, it was 14 minutes and 30 seconds too long... It's loud and stinky and icky in there and that's just the dregs of humanity waiting to do whatever they need to do. But the staff was nice and things went smoothly for me. I suggest making an appointment-- it's sooo worth it!


Saturday I went to Laguna for the arts festivals with my friends Linda and Hara. We parked and took the free trolley to all three shows - Sawdust Festival, Art-a-Fair and Pageant of the Masters and wandered around trying to take everything in. There was so much to see! Paintings, sculpture, jewelry, garden decor and more in a wide range of styles and media.


When we had our fill we took the trolley downtown and checked out the shops, finally ending up at C'est La Vie restaurant for lunch. We sat outside overlooking the beach and nibbled on sandwiches, fruit & cheese plates and crepes and shared a fruit tart with ice cream for dessert. It was luxurious, taking our time, enjoying the scenery, the cool air and a good chat.


Instead of heading straight to the freeway, I put the top down on my car and we cruised up the coast a bit. Kinda like Tina and Louise without the guns, cops and suicide at the end. It was a great day and I slept very well that night.


Monday I interviewed Hal Linden about his role in the comedy, "Under My Skin," opening in September at Pasadena Playhouse (www.pasadenaplayhouse.org). He was very nice and had a casual sense of humor. His voice is still rich and warm-- I'd like to catch one of his music concerts where he sings and plays clarinet.


Tuesday was a crazy day. It began at Creative Arts Group (www.creativeartsgroup.org) for an interview with artist Cathy Manzo who will be teaching a free scarecrow making class. Then I was off to JPL to sit in on the broadcast of Will.i.am's song, "Reach for the Stars," from the Curiosity rover on Mars to Earth. Will.i.am talked to students visiting from his old neighborhood, Boyle Heights, and other people spoke as well, including former astronaut Leland Melvin. You can find my story in the Pasadena Star-News at www.sgvn.com, as well as a photo gallery and video by Walt Mancini.


After returning to the office and filing my story on Will.i.am for the morning's papers, I was off again to the Los Angeles County Fair for a preview of some of the food you will find there. My favorite dish was shrimp, rice and pineapple chunks served in half of a cored out pineapple from Pineapple Express/Chicken Charlie's. It was refreshing and satisfying without being too much on a hot day.


Speaking of the Fair, I'll be dancing there with my drummer Ric Sarabia 12:15-12:45 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 15 in building 4 on the Community Stage. Come for the chairs and air conditioning~ stay for the entertainment!


Tonight I'm dancing with my friend Joanne drumming at a big soiree in Hollywood. It's a huge party with artists, actors, musicians and all kinds of interesting people. I can hardly wait! Then Saturday night I'll be back at one of my new favorite spots with Nocturra & Friends - the friends are Joanne, Joyce and Fred, musicians from my Ad Hoc Consort/Danse Macabre group.


Nocturra & Friends at the opening of "Ports O' Call" exhibit
5:30-8:30 p.m., performance 7 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 1
Colonnade Art Gallery & Studio, 2421 E. Colorado Blvd., Pasadena
Free
626-239-3153
www.colartgallery.com


This afternoon I'm interviewing one of my favorite artists, Owl City. I have to admit I'm excited and hope I don't babble like a fan. Once we talk music, I should be good.


My birthday is on Wednesday, so I'll be out of the office celebrating through Wednesday. Thursday I hope to get you caught up on events and Friday (late in the day because I have an outside assignment) I'll share my adventures.


In rotation this week: Owl City, Terrible Things, Saint Diablo and Prodigy.


Photos we got 'em: Another photo of me and my friend Dean "on safari" during the Doo Dah exhibit opening at the Pasadena Museum of History (www.pasadenahistory.org) taken by Terry Miller, a couple of shots from JPL by Walt Mancini and a cute pet pic.


Thought o' the week: Reflect, forgive and thrive. Yes it's an odd mix, but it works.


Reflect: As with any milestone in your life, such as a birthday, you should take some time to look back and where you've been and think about what you would change, what was wonderful and what you learned. I've been thinking over the years and, although I'm not totally happy with how everything is in my life, I am pretty satisfied. I've done more than many other people and -thank goodness- was smart enough to appreciate everything at the time. I have some goals still pending and we'll see what I can do about that.


Forgive: I had an opportunity to have a much-needed heart-to-heart with one of my friends who has been absent from my life for a while. We caught up and made up and have figured out a way to keep the friendship going. It's not optimal, but I'm at peace with it. Sometimes it's worth the compromise to keep someone special in your life.


Thrive: Again with the opportunity... The Hollywood dance gig was super last minute, but how could I say no? It's healthy to be a little spontaneous and grab as much life as you can. 'Sides if I passed, I would look back with regret and who wants that?! Getting out and living life to the fullest helps you grow and be all you can be.


Have a good week and I'll see you on the flipside. Until then, find some adventure and reflect, forgive and thrive.... oh, and

Keep on rockin'
Mickie





No comments: