Friday, May 23, 2008

End o' week musings







I had a busy weekend, then a quiet week and am now revving up for more excitement!
Saturday I went to Raqs L.A., a new belly dance festival put on by Marta Schill. Marta can be credited as among those who began bringing belly dance into being as a legitimate art form in California, heck, the entire United States. She has been a great supporter of dancers, musicians and others associated with belly dance, so it was a joy that she introduced my performance.

Zaynah was under the weather and we decided that "the show must go on." She helped me select the music, rechoreograph the number for a solo performance and choose my outfit. She was extra sweet, texting me with a cheer for a good show on Saturday! And, by the audience's reaction, I guess it was. I didn't drop my sword or slip or forget what I was doing... and I had fun.




I also took a workshop with Bellydance Superstar Kami Little. She worked us hard for two hours on locks, breaks and waves- three techniques that you can use alone or in combinations to add interest to your choreographies. It was a great class and I even learned a little dance.

On Sunday, I went to the Renaissance Faire with Ben McGinty, owner of McGinty's Gallery at the End of the World in Altadena, and some of his friends. We enjoyed the cider and ale, the shows, the shopping, the food and the atmosphere. It was hot, but I was OK with my parasol and fan and I drank a lot of water and stayed in the shade when I could.


The remainder of my week has been fairly quiet, except for yesterday when the thunder rolled, the power kept going off and finally hail poured from the skies. I actually love storms and would have liked to have just sat and watched the whole thing, but unfortunately I was still at work, so I had to try to finish the stories I was working on (local bands Wreck N Sow http://www.wrecknsow.com/ and The Trade http://www.thetrademusic.com/ would have been upset if I missed my deadline for their previews!).

The new Indiana Jones movie is out and I'm barely containing myself!! I'm a huge fan of the Indy flicks (and Harrison Ford - woo hoo!), so my friends have been calling me to find out when I want to go see the film.... It looks like Monday morning may be the winner, but will I be able to go on until then??? Wait and see!

Saturday I have yoga and my cardio abs, glutes and thighs classes and then I'm going to go see my mother for a while. Sunday, I'm off to Altadena for the Sunday Salon at McGinty's Gallery at the End of the World. If you'd like to see some cool art and also meet the artists behind the work in a relaxed setting, then scroll down this blog for more info or visit http://www.galleryattheendoftheworld.com/


As for the rest of the week~ we'll see what life brings!!

Photos we got 'em: Here's a nice photo of me at the Renaissance Faire taken by Richard Lowe http://www.renaissancefaire.net/ , as well as a couple of new ones of Joe Walla (I think he's trying to get some comparison between the old ones he sent me last week lol!) and my usual pet pix.

In rotation this week: Alanis Morrissette, Jewel, Story of the Year, Brides of Destruction, Tribe of Gypsies, The Randies and 69 Eyes.

Thought of the week: Adventure is everywhere. Some of my co-workers and I were peeking out the back door of our office looking at the pouring rain just before the hail hit. Our manager came out too and said to me that the water in the parking lot was making a river that would be perfect for me to canoe and write about... I laughed and agreed (of course we both knew he wasn't serious.. at least I think so..). When hail the size of gravel roared down, I again sneaked out to get a look. Nature is awesome! What I would have given to run out in the rain and hail and embrace the weather! Alas, I was in a white and yellow dress and platform sandals (I didn't have a clue it would even spit when I left for work in the morning). Still, I took it all in with joy and the spirit of something new.... What have you experienced lately??

Keep on rockin'
Mickie

No comments: